Welcome to the Philadelphia Writers' Conference Contest and Scholarships Submittable site. You'll use this site to enter our various contests, apply for one of our many scholarships for the upcoming conference, or to submit a manuscript for a workshop leader to critique.
We offer three Memorial Scholarships (Florence Kerigan, Mabel Love, and Walter Breish.) Memorial Scholarships are offered based on support you provide the writers' community and/or financial need. Applications must be received by April 1st of the conference year.
Writers' Clubs and Senior Citizens Centers can apply for a single use scholarship code, good for 50% off the base price of the conference. To apply, provide your club information and the name of the recipient. We also ask that you upload a club roster so we can provide your members with information about the conference.
Annual Manuscript Contests
Our main contest is open to conferees registered at the current year's conference.
You must be registered for the entire Philadelphia Writers' Conference to enter the contest (Guests and Dinner Only attendees are not eligible to participate) You'll be prompted to enter your confirmation number.
You may enter manuscripts in up to three categories.
You may use a contest entry that you also submitted for critique, but do not use the same piece for each of your contest entries….each of your entries should be unique.
Poetry should be no more than 40 lines. Screenplays should be under 10 pages. All other work should be under 2,500 words.
Contest entries must be unpublished. This includes works that are posted on blogs or online magazines. Published pieces will be disqualified.
Contest Manuscripts will not be returned. Entries that do not meet the submission criteria will be discarded.
Annual Manuscript Prizes:
1st place: Free tuition for the following year's Philadelphia Writers' Conference, a $300 value (excludes dinner events and Master Classes)
2nd place: 50% tuition for the following year's Philadelphia Writers' Conference, a $150 value (excludes dinner events, Master Classes, and Social Media Bootcamp)
3rd place: $40 Gift Certificate
Submissions for the Annual Manuscript Contest are typically open from March until May. Winners in each category will be announced at a dedicated Awards Ceremony on held on Sunday afternoon.
Please note, there is no guarantee that all three prizes will be awarded for each category. Judges are not Workshop Leaders or PWC Board Members.
Participants in the conference are welcome to submit manuscripts to each of their 3-day workshop leaders for review and critique. Critiques are limited to 2500 words (for prose) or 100 lines of poetry. Each workshop has a unique submission link, so check your registration email to find out how to submit the manuscripts for your workshop leaders.
- Writers' Club Scholarships are offered to clubs with at least seven active members.
- One scholarship, worth 50% of the basic tuition of the Philadelphia Writers' Conference (excluding dinner events and Master Classes) will be offered to each club who registers.
- The Philadelphia Writers' Conference is not responsible for determining who from your writers' club will receive the scholarship.
- Senior Scholarships are available to senior citizens living at or attending senior centers in the Greater Philadelphia area, including the Pennsylvania Suburbs, Southern New Jersey, and Delaware.
- One scholarship, worth 50% of the basic tuition of the Philadelphia Writers' Conference (excluding dinner events and Master Classes) will be offered to each senior center.