Welcome to the Philadelphia Writers' Conference Contest and Scholarships Submittable site. You'll use this site to enter our various contests, apply for one of our many scholarships for the upcoming conference, or to submit a manuscript for a workshop leader to critique.
ScholarshipsWe offer three Memorial Scholarships (Florence Kerigan, Mabel Love, and Walter Breish.) Memorial Scholarships are offered based on support you provide the writers' community and/or financial need. Applications must be received by April 1st of the conference year.
Writers' Clubs and Senior Citizens Centers can apply for a single use scholarship code, good for 50% off the base price of the conference. To apply, provide your club information and the name of the recipient. We also ask that you upload a club roster so we can provide your members with information about the conference.
Annual Manuscript Contests
You must be registered for the entire Philadelphia Writers' Conference to enter the contest (Guests and Dinner Only attendees are not eligible to participate) You'll be prompted to enter your confirmation number.
You may enter manuscripts in up to three categories.
You may use a contest entry that you also submitted for critique, but do not use the same piece for each of your contest entries….each of your entries should be unique.
Poetry should be no more than 40 lines. Screenplays should be under 10 pages. All other work should be under 2,500 words.
Contest entries must be unpublished. This includes works that are posted on blogs or online magazines. Published pieces will be disqualified.
Contest Manuscripts will not be returned. Entries that do not meet the submission criteria will be discarded.
Annual Manuscript Prizes:
2nd place: 50% tuition for the following year's Philadelphia Writers' Conference, a $150 value (excludes dinner events, Master Classes, and Social Media Bootcamp)
3rd place: $40 Gift Certificate
Submissions for the Annual Manuscript Contest are typically open from March until May. Winners in each category will be announced at a dedicated Awards Ceremony on held on Sunday afternoon.
CritiquesParticipants in the conference are welcome to submit manuscripts to each of their 3-day workshop leaders for review and critique. Critiques are limited to 2500 words (for prose) or 100 lines of poetry. Each workshop has a unique submission link, so check your registration email to find out how to submit the manuscripts for your workshop leaders.
Do you have one that will help us celebrate writing? If so, submit it here and (if you win), your fellow conferees will be wearing your words in t-shirt form!
1. Your quote should apply to any genre or format (poetry, fiction, non-fiction, playwriting, journalism), as long as it celebrates writing!
2. It should be your own words and should be unpublished. Please don't send us a quote by someone else or one that has previously been published, we won't be able to use it.
3. Keep it short....this is for a t-shirt, so try to keep it under 15 words.
If you write the winning quote:
· You agree to have it printed on t-shirts sold by the PWC.
· In exchange, you’ll receive a free t-shirt AND 50% off the standard cost of the 2018 PWC registration fee, excluding Master Classes and dinner events. (That saves you $175!)
· Your name and quote will appear in the 2018 PWC Souvenir Book!
· Your name will be printed in the June 9 banquet program!So give us your best quote! And help us Announce it with our Chests!
- Senior Scholarships are available to senior citizens living at or attending senior centers in the Greater Philadelphia area, including the Pennsylvania Suburbs, Southern New Jersey, and Delaware.
- One scholarship, worth 50% of the basic tuition of the Philadelphia Writers' Conference (excluding dinner events and Master Classes) will be offered to each senior center.
- Writers' Club Scholarships are offered to clubs with at least seven active members.
- One scholarship, worth 50% of the basic tuition of the Philadelphia Writers' Conference (excluding dinner events and Master Classes) will be offered to each club who registers.
- The Philadelphia Writers' Conference is not responsible for determining who from your writers' club will receive the scholarship.
Please note, the Philadelphia Writers' Conference may use your name and key elements from your application or recommendations for publicity purposes, specifically publication on our blog, social media, and printed material associated with the conference. Acceptance of the scholarship indicates you agree to these terms.